DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — A memorial service will be held for a veteran of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor who died last month in Ohio at age 100.
The Dayton Daily News reports services for Frank Ruby are Friday at Memorial Hall in Dayton.
Ruby was serving as a Navy petty officer when he was awakened by the sound of gunfire on Dec. 7, 1941.
He told the newspaper in 2016 the Japanese bombers were close enough to his oil barge laden with thousands of gallons of fuel that he could see the pilots’ faces. He said he thought it would be his “last day.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- As nations decide to live with the virus, some disease experts warn of surrendering too soon
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- ‘It’s ugly out there’: Rail thefts leave LA tracks littered with pilfered packages
- Census memo cites ‘unprecedented’ meddling by Trump administration
The Vandalia man died April 29.
Information from: Dayton Daily News, http://www.daytondailynews.com