DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — A memorial service will be held for a veteran of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor who died last month in Ohio at age 100.
The Dayton Daily News reports services for Frank Ruby are Friday at Memorial Hall in Dayton.
Ruby was serving as a Navy petty officer when he was awakened by the sound of gunfire on Dec. 7, 1941.
He told the newspaper in 2016 the Japanese bombers were close enough to his oil barge laden with thousands of gallons of fuel that he could see the pilots’ faces. He said he thought it would be his “last day.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Health plans no longer have to cover preventive care at no cost. Here’s what to know
- AP sources: Trump facing at least 1 felony charge in NY case WATCH
- One key player did not cooperate with prosecutors: Trump’s financial gatekeeper
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- A rescue dog and goat are best friends. A shelter put them up for adoption as a pair.
The Vandalia man died April 29.
Information from: Dayton Daily News, http://www.daytondailynews.com