ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A melee broke out among fans at the state high school wrestling tournaments in Rio Rancho.
The Albuquerque Journal reports two women at the center of a heated dispute disagreed on who instigated the melee Saturday night.
One is the mother a Belen High School wrestler. The other was the mother of a St. Pius High School wrestler.
The exchange escalated quickly and nearly blew up into a full-fledged fight in the stands.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- With police near, suspected Austin bomber blows himself up VIEW
- Teen shoots girl in Maryland school, killed in confrontation VIEW
- Neighbors baffled after naming of 24-year-old suspect
- Package bound for Austin explodes at Texas FedEx facility; second package recovered
- Ex-Playboy model sues to break silence on Trump
There was a good deal of yelling and shouting and pushing, and not confined to just the two women.
National Guard members who were there to help in handing out medals to wrestlers were among those who climbed into the stands to defuse the situation and help escort fans away.
There were multiple fan ejections.
Information from: Albuquerque Journal, http://www.abqjournal.com