ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A melee broke out among fans at the state high school wrestling tournaments in Rio Rancho.
The Albuquerque Journal reports two women at the center of a heated dispute disagreed on who instigated the melee Saturday night.
One is the mother a Belen High School wrestler. The other was the mother of a St. Pius High School wrestler.
The exchange escalated quickly and nearly blew up into a full-fledged fight in the stands.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Federal judge in Texas rules Obama health-care law unconstitutional
- George Conway calls Trump a liar after Kellyanne Conway defends president on TV
- 'Nobody should work here — ever': Teen uses intercom to quit Walmart
- Interior Secretary Zinke resigns amid investigations
- 12-year-old in China kills his mother, then returns to school, igniting an outcry
There was a good deal of yelling and shouting and pushing, and not confined to just the two women.
National Guard members who were there to help in handing out medals to wrestlers were among those who climbed into the stands to defuse the situation and help escort fans away.
There were multiple fan ejections.
Information from: Albuquerque Journal, http://www.abqjournal.com