LAKE FORREST, Ill. (AP) — Officials say no one was injured when a Minneapolis-bound Megabus carrying dozens of passengers caught fire outside of Chicago.
Fire officials say it happened about 12:15 p.m. Sunday on Route 41 near Waukegan, close to the Wisconsin border. They say the driver and about 40 passengers were able to exit the vehicle before firefighters arrived. Most of their luggage was lost.
The bus was engulfed in flames and sustained extensive damage. The cause of the fire was unknown.
Passenger Russicha Watkins told the Chicago Sun-Times (http://bit.ly/1PQqTjt ) there was a boom and black smoke. Watkins praised the driver, saying he got everybody off the bus before there was another explosion.
Most Read Stories
- Give to panhandlers or don’t? Some towns try cracking down
- Ex-Seahawk Marshawn Lynch watches Raiders game from the stands, rides BART train after being ejected
- Check out this new drone footage of the Bertha-dug Highway 99 tunnel WATCH
- A chilly La Niña winter likely in Pacific Northwest, but don’t fret about drenching of last year
- Seattle startup co-founder Matt Bencke was ‘a force of nature’ | Obituary
Sean Hughes, director of corporate affairs for the line’s parent company, Coach USA North America, said it was “fully cooperating” with the investigation.
Information from: Chicago Sun-Times, http://chicago.suntimes.com/