FOUNTAIN HILLS, Ariz. (AP) — Authorities have released the names of an Iowa couple and a Canadian woman who died after being struck by an SUV on a sidewalk in Fountain Hills, Arizona.
Maricopa County Sheriff’s officials say 72-year-old Robert Bonta and his 71-year-old wife Karen were killed in the accident Tuesday along with 60-year-old Patti Doornbos.
Doornbos’ 60-year-old husband, Ronald Doornbos, suffered a head injury and remains hospitalized in critical condition after multiple surgeries.
The couples’ hometowns weren’t immediately available Thursday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Baltimore and other cities, a stolen NSA tool wreaks havoc
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- ‘It was like a zoo:’ Death on an unruly, overcrowded Everest
- A 102-year-old woman is being evicted so the landlords' daughter can move in
- Hawaii woman missing for 2 weeks rescued from Maui forest VIEW
Sheriff’s officials say the two couples didn’t know each other.
They say charges are pending against the 27-year-old man who was driving the SUV when it jumped a curb and struck the two couples as they waited to cross a street.
Fountain Hills is about 32 miles (51 kilometers) northeast of Phoenix.