BOSTON (AP) — Transit authorities say a trolley operator was on his cellphone prior to last year’s collision with another train in Boston that sent 16 people to the hospital.
The Boston Globe reports 42-year-old Leroy Mattison, of Malden, told investigators he was trying to delete a post he had made on Reddit at the time of the crash Dec. 29. Authorities say he also had a loaded .40-caliber handgun in a backpack on the trolley.
Court records show transit police are seeking criminal charges against Mattison that include negligence, witness intimidation and using a mobile phone while operating a public transport vehicle.
The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority said Monday Mattison has been fired following the police report.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
Mattison has declined to comment.
Information from: The Boston Globe, http://www.bostonglobe.com