BOSTON (AP) — Transit authorities say a trolley operator was on his cellphone prior to last year’s collision with another train in Boston that sent 16 people to the hospital.
The Boston Globe reports 42-year-old Leroy Mattison, of Malden, told investigators he was trying to delete a post he had made on Reddit at the time of the crash Dec. 29. Authorities say he also had a loaded .40-caliber handgun in a backpack on the trolley.
Court records show transit police are seeking criminal charges against Mattison that include negligence, witness intimidation and using a mobile phone while operating a public transport vehicle.
The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority said Monday Mattison has been fired following the police report.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The man who stood behind Trump VIEW
- Fuller picture emerges of viral video encounter between Native American and Catholic students
- Trump says he directed Sarah Sanders 'not to bother' with White House news briefings
- Trump wants to deliver State of Union next week as planned VIEW
- Trump says he'll give State of Union after shutdown ends VIEW
Mattison has declined to comment.
Information from: The Boston Globe, http://www.bostonglobe.com