BOSTON (AP) — Transit authorities say a trolley operator was on his cellphone prior to last year’s collision with another train in Boston that sent 16 people to the hospital.
The Boston Globe reports 42-year-old Leroy Mattison, of Malden, told investigators he was trying to delete a post he had made on Reddit at the time of the crash Dec. 29. Authorities say he also had a loaded .40-caliber handgun in a backpack on the trolley.
Court records show transit police are seeking criminal charges against Mattison that include negligence, witness intimidation and using a mobile phone while operating a public transport vehicle.
The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority said Monday Mattison has been fired following the police report.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 42 VIEW
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news
- Stan Lee, creator of a galaxy of Marvel superheroes, dies VIEW
Mattison has declined to comment.
Information from: The Boston Globe, http://www.bostonglobe.com