BALTIMORE (AP) — Maya Rockeymoore Cummings — a consulting firm owner who is married to U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings — is jumping into a crowded Democratic race for governor.
Rockeymoore Cummings announced her candidacy Thursday. She becomes the eighth serious contender to join the June 26 Democratic primary.
The 46-year-old has never held elective office. She runs the Washington-based public policy consulting company Global Policy Solutions.
She told The Baltimore Sun she wants to build on Maryland’s unique all-payer healthcare system to bring it as close as possible to universal healthcare.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The Gateses’ public split spotlights a secretive fortune, with a hush-hush Kirkland entity at the center
- Beneath Biden’s folksy demeanor, a short fuse and an obsession with details
- Greene searched Capitol office building for Rep. Ocasio-Cortez, 2019 video shows
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Hundreds of Epidemiologists Expected Mask-Wearing in Public for at Least a Year
She said Republican Gov. Larry Hogan has shortchanged public transit and proposed a transportation plan that would do little to relieve traffic congestion.