BALTIMORE (AP) — Maya Rockeymoore Cummings — a consulting firm owner who is married to U.S. Rep. Elijah Cummings — is jumping into a crowded Democratic race for governor.
Rockeymoore Cummings announced her candidacy Thursday. She becomes the eighth serious contender to join the June 26 Democratic primary.
The 46-year-old has never held elective office. She runs the Washington-based public policy consulting company Global Policy Solutions.
She told The Baltimore Sun she wants to build on Maryland’s unique all-payer healthcare system to bring it as close as possible to universal healthcare.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Official: Girl told 911 'send the police now' as cops waited
- Another, faster-spreading omicron subvariant dominates new COVID cases in U.S.
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- After 10 years on the run, couple pleads guilty in Federal Way scuba diver’s death
- Prepare for sticker shock if you are traveling this summer
She said Republican Gov. Larry Hogan has shortchanged public transit and proposed a transportation plan that would do little to relieve traffic congestion.