VALLEJO, Calif. (AP) — A fast-moving warehouse fire at a former San Francisco Bay Area Navy shipyard lit up the night sky, but caused no injuries.
The San Francisco Chronicle reports (http://bit.ly/1hQ5ZVv ) Friday that the fire broke out shortly before midnight Thursday at the Alco Metal & Iron Company, a recycling yard, on Mare Island.
Residents were being asked to avoid the area Friday, but an official shelter-in-place advisory was not issued. Flames from the fire could be seen east of San Francisco.
The fire department responded a year ago Saturday to a big fire in the same recycling yard.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Motorcycle stunt rider Alex Harvill dies while trying to break world record in Moses Lake
- In the Wake of India’s COVID Crisis, a ‘Black Fungus’ Epidemic Follows
- Severe heat and drought are the hallmarks of a changing West
- Summer solstice arrives Sunday night, marking year's longest day
Mare Island was also the site of a four-alarm fire in an abandoned barracks last August and a fire in 2005 that destroyed $200 million worth of wine and resulted in the conviction of an arsonist, the newspaper reported.
Information from: San Francisco Chronicle, http://www.sfgate.com