VALLEJO, Calif. (AP) — A fast-moving warehouse fire at a former San Francisco Bay Area Navy shipyard lit up the night sky, but caused no injuries.
The San Francisco Chronicle reports (http://bit.ly/1hQ5ZVv ) Friday that the fire broke out shortly before midnight Thursday at the Alco Metal & Iron Company, a recycling yard, on Mare Island.
Residents were being asked to avoid the area Friday, but an official shelter-in-place advisory was not issued. Flames from the fire could be seen east of San Francisco.
The fire department responded a year ago Saturday to a big fire in the same recycling yard.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Fake images of Trump arrest show 'giant step' for AI's disruptive power
- What to know about the eyedrops linked to deaths and vision loss
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- End of the rainbow? California bill would ban sales of Skittles, other 'toxic' snacks
- A tree fell, killing two children. Their parents are now warning others
Mare Island was also the site of a four-alarm fire in an abandoned barracks last August and a fire in 2005 that destroyed $200 million worth of wine and resulted in the conviction of an arsonist, the newspaper reported.
Information from: San Francisco Chronicle, http://www.sfgate.com