GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — A massage therapist convicted in 2016 of secretly filming a female client while she changed is getting a new trial.
The Sun Herald of Biloxi reports the Mississippi Court of Appeals voted 5-4 to retry Matthew Edward Pierce, of Long Beach. An opinion issued by the court majority says Judge Lisa Dodson, who presided over the 2016 trial, was wrong to close the courtroom during the testimony of the woman videotaped by Pierce. It says only the review of the tape itself should have been closed as the law entitles defendants to public trials.
It also says Dodson wrongly omitted jury instruction that said Pierce should be found innocent if the jury concluded he accidentally taped his client, which is what Pierce says happened.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Trump questions US intel, not Putin, on Russia 2016 meddling WATCH
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Lava crashes through roof of Hawaii tour boat, injuring 23
Information from: The Sun Herald, http://www.sunherald.com