PITTSFIELD, Mass. (AP) — Another work of art from the collection a Massachusetts museum that came under intense criticism for deciding to sell multiple works in an effort to stay open has sold at auction.
The Alexander Calder motorized sculpture “Double Arc and Sphere” sold Wednesday for more than $1.2 million at the Contemporary Art Evening Auction at Sotheby’s in New York City. That price includes the buyer’s premium that goes to the auction house.
The wood and wire piece had been expected to sell for up to $3 million.
It was one of 13 works being sold by the Berkshire Museum in Pittsfield this month as part of a plan to boost its endowment and refocus its mission. Two paintings were sold earlier this week.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'Unfair and unconstitutional': Outrage over detained migrant children intensifies
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- 'Are you dead, sir?': Video shows ER doctor mocking patient who said he couldn't breathe WATCH
- Staff cuts at federal prisons have teachers, nurses guarding inmates
- Trump defiant as crisis grows over family separation at the border