CHICOPEE, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts firefighter has been charged with five armed robberies and is being investigated for his possible connection to several more.
Police say Chicopee firefighter Erik Henry is being held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing next week.
The 36-year-old Henry was arrested at the station on Wednesday. Two banks and three stores in Chicopee have been robbed by a masked man with a gun since late October. The latest robberies occurred Sunday.
Police say Henry is being investigated in connection with similar robberies in Springfield and Holyoke.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Trump says FBI searched estate in major escalation of probe
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- How the Inflation Reduction Act might impact you — and change the U.S.
Family members told police that Henry, a 9-year veteran of the department, has a drug problem.
Police say he used vehicles registered to relatives during the robberies.
It could not immediately be determined if he has a lawyer.