WHEATON, Md. (AP) — A 22-year-old Maryland woman has been charged in the killing of her 80-year-old great-grandmother.
Montgomery County police said Shannon Marci Jefferson Lozano is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Doris Elizabeth Shelton. Lozano was ordered jailed without bond and is expected to appear in court Monday.
The Washington Post reports that Shelton was found unresponsive Friday afternoon by her husband, who told police he saw his great-granddaughter running away. Lozano lived in Wheaton with her great-grandparents.
Montgomery police said officers from the Maryland-National Capital Park Police apprehended Lozano a short distance from the house. Police said that while being questioned, Lozano “made a statement implicating herself in the assault of her great-grandmother.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas
Police didn’t disclose a motive.
Court records said Shelton suffered blunt-force trauma and multiple cutting injuries.
Information from: The Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com