ASPEN HILL, Md. (AP) — Authorities have charged a Maryland woman with attempted murder after she allegedly attacked her autistic son with a bow saw.
WJLA-TV reports that 46-year-old Kristina Petrie of the Montgomery County town of Aspen Hill faces attempted first-degree murder and child abuse charges.
An affidavit obtained by WJLA alleges the woman attacked her 11-year-old son inside the family’s home earlier this month because he required so much care and she felt overwhelmed. She allegedly raked the bow saw across the back of his neck multiple times.
Defense attorney Sharon Diamant tells the station that Petrie had “absolutely no intent” to harm anyone.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
A preliminary hearing in Montgomery County’s District Court is set for April 20.
If the allegations are proven, Petrie faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.
Information from: WJLA-TV, http://www.wjla.com