BALTIMORE (AP) — The state’s highest-paid employee is once again the University of Maryland men’s basketball coach, earning $2.72 million last year.
The Terrapins men didn’t make March Madness, or even the Top 25 this season, but that didn’t stop Mark Turgeon from coming in at No. 1.
The Baltimore Sun reports that Maryland football coach DJ Durkin was paid $2.49 million, making him the second highest-paid state employee. The Maryland women’s basketball coach, Brenda Frese, was the third-highest paid state employee in 2017 with a salary of $1.18 million.
Frese has led the women to three NCAA Final Four competitions and a championship in 2006 during her 16 seasons as coach.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'Are you dead, sir?': Video shows ER doctor mocking patient who said he couldn't breathe WATCH
- Trump administration pulls US out of UN human rights council
- More outbreaks of foodborne illnesses: Here’s what you need to know
- In secret recording, children in custody sob, beg for parents taken from them at U.S. border
- What separation from parents does to children: 'The effect is catastrophic'
Turgeon was also the highest-paid person in 2016 at $2.67 million. He has five years left on his contract.
Information from: The Baltimore Sun, http://www.baltimoresun.com