BROOKEVILLE, Md. (AP) — Authorities in Maryland say a man found a small alligator in his backyard koi pond.
The man called 911 Friday to report his discovery, telling the operator in a recording released by police: “This may sound a little crazy, but we have an alligator in our pond in the backyard.”
Montgomery County police and animal control officers responded with Maryland Natural Resources Police to the home in Brookeville, about 15 miles north of Washington, D.C. After draining the pond for three hours, police say officers caught the three-foot alligator. It was taken to the Catoctin Wildlife Preserve and Zoo in Frederick County.
Natural Resources Police will investigate how the alligator ended up in the pond.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Luxury cars, MAGA flags and Facebook invites: How an unknown Idaho family organized the Portland rally that turned deadly
- CDC reverses itself, says new guidelines on coronavirus transmission were posted in error
- N95 masks save lives. So why are they still hard to get this far into a pandemic?
- CDC quietly issues new guidance on how coronavirus spreads
- ‘We May Be Surprised Again’: An Unpredictable Pandemic Takes a Terrible Toll