BROOKEVILLE, Md. (AP) — Authorities in Maryland say a man found a small alligator in his backyard koi pond.
The man called 911 Friday to report his discovery, telling the operator in a recording released by police: “This may sound a little crazy, but we have an alligator in our pond in the backyard.”
Montgomery County police and animal control officers responded with Maryland Natural Resources Police to the home in Brookeville, about 15 miles north of Washington, D.C. After draining the pond for three hours, police say officers caught the three-foot alligator. It was taken to the Catoctin Wildlife Preserve and Zoo in Frederick County.
Natural Resources Police will investigate how the alligator ended up in the pond.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Can you have alcohol after the COVID vaccine?
- After leading a 153-person hike in the Grand Canyon, a Washington health-care exec faces federal charges
- Mom who gave birth on flight didn't know she was pregnant
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Why the world's most vaccinated country is seeing an unprecedented spike in coronavirus cases