JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — A former Unalaska mayor has been appointed to the new position of executive director of the Alaska ferry system.
Shirley Marquardt is scheduled to start work next month. She will be based in Ketchikan.
The state transportation department says the position will provide direction to the system and oversee operations, engineering, marketing and program development.
Gov. Bill Walker, in a release, says Marquardt will help move the ferry system to a stronger business model.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Complaint in Closs case could be road map for prosecution WATCH
- UK's May faces no-confidence vote after Brexit plan crushed WATCH
- 2nd man dies at California home of Democratic party donor
- Trump invokes one of the worst Native American massacres to mock Elizabeth Warren
- At Trump’s inauguration, $10,000 for makeup and lots of room service VIEW
Marquardt currently serves as Walker’s director of boards and commissions.