GADSDEN, Ala. (AP) — Police in Alabama have identified man whose body was found in a pickup truck that plunged into a river after driving off a bridge.
Authorities say 56-year-old Bobby Lee Benefield of the Ball Play community in Etowah County was identified after the truck was removed from the Coosa River at Gadsden on Monday.
Investigators haven’t determined whether anyone else was in the vehicle at the time of the crash. And it’s unclear why the pickup crossed lanes of traffic before hitting the guardrail and going into the water.
Divers found the struck upside down at a depth of 22 feet (6.7 meters).
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- As nations decide to live with the virus, some disease experts warn of surrendering too soon
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- ‘It’s ugly out there’: Rail thefts leave LA tracks littered with pilfered packages
- Eastern U.S. socked by winter storm
Information from: The Birmingham News, http://www.al.com/birminghamnews