WHITWELL, Tenn. (AP) — Authorities are searching near Chattanooga for a man wanted for a convenience store hold-up, saying they’ve placed the suspect on the top 10 most wanted list of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.
Area news outlets report the search for 42-year-old Dewayne Lee Halfacre continued for a third day Wednesday near Whitwell, about 25 miles (35 kilometers) northwest of Chattanooga.
Authorities say Halfacre eluded capture earlier this week though a fellow suspect in Friday’s robbery in Rutherford County, 51-year-old Timothy Howell, was arrested.
Sheriff Ronnie “Bo” Burnet in Marion County, which encompasses the community of Whitwell, says Halfacre stole an officer’s vehicle Tuesday after an altercation, crashed it and then fled on foot. The sheriff says Halfacre is considered to be armed and dangerous.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Flamingo freezes on flight south, crashes onto Siberian road
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Couple killed in crash driving to their wedding