PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A manhole has exploded in Rhode Island’s capital, but authorities say it caused no injuries or damage.
Firefighters were called to the 1 Financial Plaza skyscraper in downtown Providence shortly after noon Saturday after witnesses reported the blast.
They extinguished a small fire.
Firefighters and crews with the National Grid electric utility remained on the scene to check nearby buildings for gas and carbon monoxide.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Colin Powell dies, trailblazing general stained by Iraq
- Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both knockouts, but one seems to have the edge
- Colin Powell, warrior and statesman, dies of COVID complications
- Ted Cruz called an Australian vaccine mandate 'tyranny.' Then came the stinging response
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The cause of the explosion wasn’t immediately known.