NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Authorities say a New Jersey man tried to bring a cane with an ice pick in its handle through security at Newark Liberty International Airport.
The Transportation Security Administration says the 72-year-old Maplewood man was stopped Thursday morning at the New York City-area airport.
They say the steel ice pick was concealed in the handle of the wooden cane. A TSA officer staffing an X-ray monitor detected something unusual in the cane’s handle and twisted and pulled it off to find the ice pick.
Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokeswoman Cheryl Albiez says authorities determined the man needed the cane for mobility and didn’t arrest him. They gave him a different cane from the lost and found and returned the one with the ice pick to his wife.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Soldier with 'Hitler mustache' is first to be thrown out of military after Capitol riot charges
- Sheriff says family on California hike died of extreme heat
- FBI: Remains found in Florida park ID'd as Brian Laundrie
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Cheney’s consultants are given an ultimatum: Drop her, or be dropped
This story has been corrected to show that the man was given a different cane and was not arrested, as the Transportation Security Administration had earlier reported.