PROGRESO, Texas (AP) — The name of a man killed in a police-involved shooting in Progreso in South Texas has been released.
The McAllen Monitor reports that the Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office says Evelio Gomez was fatally shot Sunday by a Progreso police officer after a struggle.
The 46-year-old victim was a Mexican national and was allegedly wielding a machete.
The officer’s name was not immediately released. It was not clear what sparked the struggle. The sheriff’s office investigation continues.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- 'Stay tuned' for new evidence against Trump in July hearings
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
- Inside the extreme effort to punish women for abortion
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events