TOMS RIVER, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey man whose dog was inside a pickup truck that plunged through the ice on a frozen river this year has been indicted on animal cruelty and criminal mischief charges.
An Ocean County grand jury returned the indictment Tuesday against 28-year-old Toms River resident Andrew Mayer. He could face several years in prison if convicted on all counts.
Authorities have said Mayer’s 2-year-old boxer mix, Rolo, was found dead after the truck sank March 1. Another man got out of the truck before it went onto the ice. Neither was injured.
A witness told police that the truck was driven to the center of the river and began spinning in circles.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Vaccine reserve was already exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it, dashing hopes of expanded access
- 'QAnon Shaman's' note to Pence cited as evidence of 'assassination' plot before prosecutors walk back claim
- The $3,000-a-month toilet for the Ivanka Trump/Jared Kushner Secret Service detail
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Trump to leave Washington on morning of Biden's inauguration