TOMS RIVER, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey man whose dog was inside a pickup truck that plunged through the ice on a frozen river this year has been indicted on animal cruelty and criminal mischief charges.
An Ocean County grand jury returned the indictment Tuesday against 28-year-old Toms River resident Andrew Mayer. He could face several years in prison if convicted on all counts.
Authorities have said Mayer’s 2-year-old boxer mix, Rolo, was found dead after the truck sank March 1. Another man got out of the truck before it went onto the ice. Neither was injured.
A witness told police that the truck was driven to the center of the river and began spinning in circles.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Drones. Crutches. Potatoes. Russians crowdfund their army
- Official: Girl told 911 'send the police now' as cops waited
- Another, faster-spreading omicron subvariant dominates new COVID cases in U.S.
- After 10 years on the run, couple pleads guilty in Federal Way scuba diver’s death