RUTLAND, Vt. (AP) — A Vermont man who told police he attacked and killed his 82-year-old mother because he believed she was possessed by Satan has pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
The Rutland Herald reports (http://bit.ly/2tJL7p3 ) 55-year-old Roderick Geronimo, of East Poultney, entered the plea Thursday in the 2012 death of his mother, Gertrudes Alwardt.
Police say Geronimo violently pushed a table into her and hit her over the head with wine decanters before pouring water into her mouth to “cast the devil out.”
Alwardt died of blunt force trauma to the head and torso.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- After Roe, architect of Texas abortion law sets sights on gay marriage and more
- 6 dead, 30 hurt in shooting at Chicago-area July 4 parade
- Once a crucial refuge, ‘gayborhoods’ lose LGBTQ appeal in major cities
- Updated COVID shots are coming. Will they be too late?
The defense and prosecution agreed that Geronimo was suffering a psychotic episode at the time, and his charge was reduced from murder.
Sentencing is scheduled for Nov. 28. Geronimo faces one to 15 years in prison.
Information from: Rutland Herald, http://www.rutlandherald.com/