MITCHELL, S.D. (AP) — Authorities say the man who died in an interstate crash near Mitchell was a firefighter for two area communities.
The Daily Republic reported Monday that Tracy Morehead died in Saturday’s crash on Interstate 90. He was a firefighter for Salem and Spencer.
The South Dakota Highway Patrol says a Dodge Durango was westbound when it struck six cows that had wandered onto the interstate. The SUV came to a stop in the passing lane and was struck from the rear by a Chevrolet Impala driven by Morehead. The 39-year-old man died at a Mitchell hospital.
A 10-year-old girl who was a passenger in the Durango suffered life-threatening injuries and was airlifted to a Sioux Falls hospital. A 33-year-old woman in the SUV was seriously injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- Trump executive nears plea deal with Manhattan prosecutors
Information from: The Daily Republic, http://www.mitchellrepublic.com