NEWARK, Del. (AP) — Police say a Delaware man wanted for allegedly killing his girlfriend is being held in New York City after he attempted to kill himself.
A spokesman for the Newark Police Department said 36-year-old Rondell Veal will be charged with first-degree murder in the stabbing death of Sherrie Campbell in their Newark home. Police discovered Campbell’s body Friday when they were called to the home to check on her.
Newark police obtained an arrest warrant for Veal Saturday and enlisted the help of New York police when they learned he may have fled there. On Sunday, New York city officers found Veal in a hospital, where he was recovering from injuries he received during his suicide attempt.
The killing is the first homicide in Newark since 2014.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Trump says FBI searched estate in major escalation of probe
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- How the Inflation Reduction Act might impact you — and change the U.S.