PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Police say a man is in critical condition after he was found tied up and set on fire inside his car in north Philadelphia.
Authorities say three men abducted the 33-year-old victim at gunpoint Sunday night in northeast Philadelphia.
Captain Mark Burgmann told reporters Monday afternoon that the three tied the victim’s hands together, then drove around for hours, using his phone to call and text demands for $10,000 ransom.
Finally, police said, they doused the vehicle with gasoline before setting it ablaze at about 5:45 a.m. Monday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Extra pilot saved doomed Lion Air jetliner on next-to-last flight
- DNA testing helps police confirm Ted Bundy killed missing Utah teen
- Kellyanne Conway dismisses her husband's concerns that President Trump's mental health is deteriorating
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- Tens of thousands converge on California 'poppy apocalypse' VIEW
The man was taken to Temple University Hospital and listed in critical condition. Police said no arrests have been made, and while they don’t believe the crime was random they can’t say why the victim may have been targeted.