PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Police say a man is in critical condition after he was found tied up and set on fire inside his car in north Philadelphia.
Authorities say three men abducted the 33-year-old victim at gunpoint Sunday night in northeast Philadelphia.
Captain Mark Burgmann told reporters Monday afternoon that the three tied the victim’s hands together, then drove around for hours, using his phone to call and text demands for $10,000 ransom.
Finally, police said, they doused the vehicle with gasoline before setting it ablaze at about 5:45 a.m. Monday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Robocalls flooding your cellphone? Here’s how to fight them
- Inside the elite prep-school world of Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh, accuser
- Two women athletes were separately killed in Iowa. But only one suspect — a Mexican — inspired outrage.
- Under right terms, Kavanaugh accuser may testify after all WATCH
The man was taken to Temple University Hospital and listed in critical condition. Police said no arrests have been made, and while they don’t believe the crime was random they can’t say why the victim may have been targeted.