PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Police say a man is in critical condition after he was found tied up and set on fire inside his car in north Philadelphia.
Authorities say three men abducted the 33-year-old victim at gunpoint Sunday night in northeast Philadelphia.
Captain Mark Burgmann told reporters Monday afternoon that the three tied the victim’s hands together, then drove around for hours, using his phone to call and text demands for $10,000 ransom.
Finally, police said, they doused the vehicle with gasoline before setting it ablaze at about 5:45 a.m. Monday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- House condemns Trump 'racist' tweets in extraordinary rebuke VIEW
- Diver stumbles upon a giant jellyfish as big as she is: Watch the video
- Prosecutors want Mexican megachurch leader held without bail VIEW
- Yosemite to restore names to historic attractions under $12 million settlement
- 'Justice wasn't served': 50 years since Chappaquiddick VIEW
The man was taken to Temple University Hospital and listed in critical condition. Police said no arrests have been made, and while they don’t believe the crime was random they can’t say why the victim may have been targeted.