Share story

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A Nevada man whose family was nearly killed weeks ago by bombs set off by a former colleague has no idea why he was a target.

“I don’t have a clue what Glenn Jones was up to,” Joshua Cluff said in his first public statements about the attack. “Do you know why crazy people do crazy things before they do them?”

In a phone interview with the Las Vegas Review-Journal ( on Friday, Cluff, 36, said that Glenn Franklin Jones never threatened him when they worked together as nurses at a hospital in Caliente. He could not recall Jones ever saying a harsh word.

Authorities say Jones drove from Kingman, Arizona, to Cluff’s home in the rural town of Panaca on July 13. He then detonated bombs inside Cluff’s home and in a rental car in front of the house.

Cluff’s wife, Tiffany, and two daughters had fled their home moments earlier. A third daughter and Cluff weren’t there.

Jones then shot himself. Clark County Coroner John Fudenberg said Jones had died from a gunshot wound to the head. His body had been blown up in the blasts.

Investigators said the bombs used in the attack were sophisticated enough to hurl car parts, building materials and bomb fragments across the town, with some debris landing up to a mile away.

A search of Jones’ motorhome in Kingman where he had been living for several months turned up what authorities characterized as a bomb-making lab. They found several pounds of explosives and improvised bombs, according to Kingman police. Explosives experts also detonated a box of black powder that was found inside.

A search warrant document obtained Friday from Mohave County court lists journals and notebooks recovered from Jones’ RV and the car left behind when he drove a rental car. According to the documents, there were bomb diagrams and notes intimating a planned July 4 terror attack against an unidentified U.S. Bureau of Land Management facility. The document said Jones had written in journals that someone named Josh had ordered and funded the construction of the explosive device that would be used.

Those notes prompted FBI agents to question Cluff and his wife separately for several hours, Cluff said. Agents also searched their home July 21 as well as Cluff’s cellphone and a trailer. He has since been cleared, but the attention from the FBI and the media still leave him angry.

“My family is freaking broken now,” Cluff said.

Cluff was a nursing supervisor at Grover C. Dils Medical Center in Caliente. He said he hired Jones in 2012 as a nurse at the rural hospital. The two men and Tiffany Cluff, who is also a nurse, all worked together.

Jones had been investigated for unaccounted morphine at the hospital, according to state documents. The investigation indicated that Jones in July and August 2015 had obtained morphine syringes for patients but failed to document whether the drug was administered, a violation of protocol.

Jones had his nursing license revoked for unprofessional conduct by the Nevada State Board of Nursing in April for a period of five years, the documents state.

Jones had been notified of the case against him and summoned in February. But he failed to appear at the March hearing before the revocation was ordered.

Jason Bleak, Dils hospital administrator, said Jones voluntarily resigned from his position in August 2015 and had in the year before that voluntarily cut back his schedule, working just part-time.


This story has been corrected to restore Cluff surname in 4th paragraph.


Information from: Las Vegas Review-Journal,