BALTIMORE (AP) — A man has been sentenced to five years in prison for carjacking a woman who was in labor and on her way to the hospital in Annapolis.
U.S. District Judge J. Frederick Motz sentenced 25-year-old Deverey Hasani-Jarod Kelley of Glen Burnie on Wednesday. The prison sentence will be followed by three years’ supervised release.
Kelley pleaded guilty to pointing guns at two people on Copeland Street in Annapolis in March 2014. Prosecutors say the victims were going to the hospital because the woman was in labor.
Prosecutors say Kelley and co-defendant Cornell Robinson of Washington forced the woman at gunpoint to a building nearby, demanding money. Robinson took the victim’s car key and left in the car.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Flooding washes away Kentucky coal country stalwarts
Robinson was convicted in July. His sentencing is set for November.