ANOKA, Minn. (AP) — A judge has sentenced a 26-year-old man to more than 30 years in prison for killing a Blaine toddler.
Nelson Soto-Lopez was sentenced Monday for the 2016 murder of 21-month-old Drake Oliva.
Soto-Lopez was charged with one count of second-degree murder. He entered a Norgaard plea, which means he can’t recall the events because of intoxication or amnesia but acknowledges there is enough evidence for a jury to convict him.
Judge Jonathan Jasper gave Soto-Lopez the maximum sentence.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Coalition of states sues Trump over national-emergency declaration to build border wall
- Sailor in iconic V-J Day Times Square kiss photo dies at 95
The victim was the son of Soto-Lopez’s girlfriend, 27-year-old Heydi Aguilera-Bustillo. She pleaded guilty to aiding an offender and was sentenced in January to nearly 14 years in prison.