ANOKA, Minn. (AP) — A judge has sentenced a 26-year-old man to more than 30 years in prison for killing a Blaine toddler.
Nelson Soto-Lopez was sentenced Monday for the 2016 murder of 21-month-old Drake Oliva.
Soto-Lopez was charged with one count of second-degree murder. He entered a Norgaard plea, which means he can’t recall the events because of intoxication or amnesia but acknowledges there is enough evidence for a jury to convict him.
Judge Jonathan Jasper gave Soto-Lopez the maximum sentence.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- Mueller said ready to deliver key findings in his Trump probe
- America's most famous pimp, poised for elected office, dies
- Idaho wildlife official resigns after killing baboon family
- Interrogation gone wrong, rogue killers: What happened to Saudi journalist?
The victim was the son of Soto-Lopez’s girlfriend, 27-year-old Heydi Aguilera-Bustillo. She pleaded guilty to aiding an offender and was sentenced in January to nearly 14 years in prison.