ANOKA, Minn. (AP) — A judge has sentenced a 26-year-old man to more than 30 years in prison for killing a Blaine toddler.
Nelson Soto-Lopez was sentenced Monday for the 2016 murder of 21-month-old Drake Oliva.
Soto-Lopez was charged with one count of second-degree murder. He entered a Norgaard plea, which means he can’t recall the events because of intoxication or amnesia but acknowledges there is enough evidence for a jury to convict him.
Judge Jonathan Jasper gave Soto-Lopez the maximum sentence.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sherpa climbs Everest twice in a week, breaks his record with his 24th ascent
- 'American Taliban' fighter to be released after 17 years VIEW
- Ex-partner of deceased skater Coughlin says she was abused
- Mnuchin says Tubman $20 bill design delayed past 2020
- Trump stalks out on Democrats, demands end of investigations VIEW
The victim was the son of Soto-Lopez’s girlfriend, 27-year-old Heydi Aguilera-Bustillo. She pleaded guilty to aiding an offender and was sentenced in January to nearly 14 years in prison.