BOSTON (AP) — A Brazilian man arrested in connection with the discovery of about $20 million cash hidden inside a box spring in a Massachusetts apartment has been sentenced to nearly three years in federal prison.
Cleber Rene Rizerio Rocha was sentenced Thursday after pleading guilty in October to money laundering charges.
The money was found in Westborough in January 2017 during an investigation into TelexFree Inc., a defunct internet telecom company that prosecutors say was actually a billion-dollar pyramid scheme.
Prosecutors say TelexFree had few customers and made most of its revenue from people buying into the company with a promise of payouts for posting online ads.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Rapper Young Thug booked on weapons charge in Los Angeles
- No private jets, no big house: Jimmy Carter an outlier among ex-presidents VIEW
- Aretha Franklin 'worked for me,' claims Trump. Did she?
- Garbage from Washington state's booming pot industry clogs gutters, sewers and landfills
- Woman at Staples: Not shoplifting, just pregnant with twins
Authorities say the 28-year-old Rocha was a courier for a fugitive TelexFree executive who came to retrieve the money move it out of the U.S.