GREENE, Pa. (AP) — A man who was driving drunk when he struck a tree, killing three friends who were on a hunting trip with him, is now headed to prison.
Thomas Howey Jr. was sentenced Thursday to 6 to 20 years. The 52-year-old Palmer man had pleaded guilty in February to homicide by vehicle and related charges.
Authorities say Howey was speeding when the crash occurred in November 2015. His three passengers — 58-year-old Timothy Gerhard, of Plainfield Township; 46-year-old Barry Foose Jr., of Easton, and 38-year-old Eric Dunbar, of Roseto — were all pronounced dead at the scene.
Howey was critically injured in the crash but has since recovered.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
Authorities say Foose was married to Howey’s cousin. Dunbar was a friend of Foose’s whom he had just introduced to the others.