DENVER (AP) — A man has been charged with attempted murder after authorities say he told investigators in suburban Denver that he purposefully crashed his car in an effort to kill his toddler son.
Nathan Weitzel is being jailed on $500,000 bail in connection with the Aug. 21 wreck in Centennial.
KUSA-TV reports that the 2-year-old boy, who was unrestrained in the vehicle, suffered a concussion and broken leg but is expected to recover.
Court documents say Weitzel told an Arapahoe County sheriff’s investigator that he planned the crash because he didn’t “think he was man enough to raise a child.” He also reported using cocaine the day of the incident.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- Trump is rushing to hire seasoned lawyers. But he keeps hearing 'No'
- The coming California megastorm
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Weitzel allegedly told investigators that he took his son to play in a park before the crash and thought of ways he could kill him.
Documents do not indicate if Weitzel has an attorney.
Information from: KUSA-TV, http://www.9news.com