PLANT CITY, Fla. (AP) — A man who had recently been released from prison after serving time for a road rage killing has been shot and killed during another road rage encounter in Florida.
Col. Donna Luscynski of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office tells local media the incident occurred Wednesday morning in Plant City. She says 40-year-old Gary Lynn Durham stopped his pickup truck, got out and approached the motorist behind him. An argument escalated between the two.
Investigators say the car’s driver, 42-year-old Robert Padgett, warned Durham before he pulled out a gun and shot him.
Paramedics arrived to find Padgett giving CPR to Durham, but Durham later died.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
- People are having COVID parties to spread the virus. That's 'Russian roulette,' doctors warn
- Legal challenge to GOP Rep. Madison Cawthorn asks: Who is an ‘insurrectionist’?
Durham had recently been released from prison for the 2001 killing of 48-year-old Timothy Gibbs in another road rage incident.
Luscynski says Padgett is cooperating with law enforcement and will not be arrested.