FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — Police in Berlin say a man crashed a car into the entrance area of the country’s Social Democratic Party at midnight on Christmas Eve.
A police statement Monday says the man described the act as a suicide attempt. A fire broke out in the car but was extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system.
The 58-year-old man earlier had left a bag containing gas canisters and grill lighters in front of the headquarters of the Christian Democratic Party, which along with the Social Democrats forms the current governing coalition under Chancellor Angela Merkel.
No one other than the driver was hurt. He was taken to a hospital with a head injury.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- One woman dominated a local fair's food contest. The internet went looking for her
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom
- Men rush to get vasectomies after Roe ruling
- Cruz takes a shot at Elmo the muppet over getting a COVID vaccine
- 2nd visitor in 3 days gored by Yellowstone park bison