PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a Florida man pulled a gun on a martial arts instructor at a church during an argument over using firearms for self-defense.
A Port St. Lucie police report says martial arts instructor Christopher Lasala was at Grace Christian Academy on Sunday discussing with parents an afterschool class he is starting. When one asked about guns, Lasala replied they aren’t always the best choice for self-defense.
Lasala and witnesses told police that 61-year-old George Meyer overheard Lasala and said martial arts are useless. They say he then pulled a handgun, pointed it at Lasala and said, “Bang, you’re dead.” Meyer soon put his gun away and left.
Meyer later told police he pulled the gun, but didn’t point it. He has been charged with aggravated assault.
Most Read Stories
- Snohomish County man has the United States’ first known case of Wuhan coronavirus
- 5 of the Seattle area's most changed neighborhoods: We crunched the data on population, income, jobs
- 'We were before our time': Remembering the fight to change King County's namesake from a slave owner to a civil-rights leader VIEW
- Did the Seahawks make a mistake by letting Richard Sherman go?
- How white families with young children can work to undo racism
This story corrects the law enforcement agency to Port St. Lucie police