ACKLEY, Iowa (AP) — A man accused of torturing his 8-year-old son by locking him in a basement, withholding food and making him endure dog bites has pleaded not guilty.
Hardin County District Court records say 30-year-old Alex Shadlow on Monday entered a written plea to a kidnapping charge. A trial date hasn’t been set.
Shadlow’s girlfriend, Traci Tyler, also has pleaded not guilty to kidnapping. Her trial is to begin Sept. 11.
An arrest affidavit says the boy was locked up for at least 9 hours a day last summer in a space under the basement stairs at the couple’s Ackley home. He slept on concrete and had no access to a bathroom.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Trump is rushing to hire seasoned lawyers. But he keeps hearing 'No.'
- Pence tells GOP to stop lashing out at FBI over Trump search
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- The coming California megastorm
Police say Tyler also urged her dog to attack the boy, which left scars on his back and limbs.