SARGENT, Neb. (AP) — A man is scheduled for sentencing in March for the crash death of his car passenger on Thanksgiving Day 2016.
Broken Bow radio station KCNI reports that 49-year-old Virgil Ramsdell, of Taylor, pleaded no contest Thursday to manslaughter. A charge of being a habitual criminal was dropped as part of a plea agreement. His sentencing is set for March 22 in Custer County District Court.
The accident occurred Nov. 24, 2016, on U.S. Highway 183, about 3 miles (5 kilometers) south of Sargent. The Nebraska State Patrol says Ramsdell reported that the car crashed after he swerved to miss a deer. His passenger, 56-year-old Becky Millard, of Sargent, was declared dead at a hospital.
Court records say Ramsdell tested positive for marijuana and methamphetamine after the accident.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
Information from: KCNI-AM.