MONTICELLO, Ga. (AP) — Authorities say a man has been killed in a gun battle with Georgia sheriff’s deputies.
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said the death happened Monday afternoon in Jasper County, about 60 miles (97 kilometers) southeast of Atlanta.
WSB-TV reports that a woman had called the sheriff’s office there, saying the man had pointed a gun at her. Authorities say that when deputies arrived at the home, the man came outside with his weapon and began firing. Authorities say the sheriff’s deputies shot back, killing the man.
Jasper County Sheriff Donnie Pope said Monday that authorities were still trying to figure out exactly what led to the shooting.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Down-ballot Democrats move to distance themselves from Sanders
- A small bookstore pondered its future after a day without a sale. After a tweet, it became overwhelmed with orders.
- Harvey Weinstein found guilty in landmark #MeToo moment VIEW
- YouTuber campaigns against 'climate alarmism,' drawing comparisons to Greta Thunberg
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Identities of the deputies and the man who was killed were not immediately released, and few other details were available late Monday.