TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man has been convicted of manslaughter, but not murder, in the death of his former girlfriend’s 19-month-old daughter.
The Tampa Bay Times reports that a Hillsborough County jury returned its verdict Friday for 34-year-old Deandre Gilmore. He faces up to 15 years in prison.
Gilmore told authorities that Myla Presley fell in a bathtub in May 2014 when he left her unattended for a few minutes. He had been watching her at a Sulphur Springs apartment where he and the girl’s mother lived.
Prosecutors presented medical evidence that showed multiple hemorrhages in the baby’s brain and bruising elsewhere on her body.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- An old medicine grows new hair for pennies a day, doctors say
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Betsy DeVos compares Joe Biden touching her forehead to sexual harassment under Title IX
Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.