REXBURG, Idaho (AP) — An Idaho man was handed a seven-year sentence for beating a 6-year-old child.
The Post Register reports District Judge Gregory Moeller on Monday sentenced Sean Ryan, of Iona, to two years fixed in prison and five indeterminate for his conviction on a felony injury to a child charge.
Defense Attorney Anthony Sasser sought probation, saying his client’s actions come from an abusive upbringing. Sasser also says his client had several untreated mental health conditions, including post-traumatic stress disorder from serving two tours in Iraq.
Ryan was arrested in September after the 6-year-old victim told his mother that Ryan had given him bruises. The victim originally told his mother the injuries were from a fall down the stairs.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- 'I didn't really learn anything': COVID grads face college
- Simmering threat of violence comes to fore with search of Trump property
- If Trump illegally removed official records, would he be barred from office?
- Large explosions rock Russian military air base in Crimea
A probable cause affidavit states Ryan would spank the child with a wooden spatula. Ryan also had kicked the child in the face.
Information from: Post Register, http://www.postregister.com