GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) — A western Michigan man has been sentenced to life in prison without parole for the beating death of his girlfriend’s 4-year-old son.
Elis Ortiz-Nieves struggled with officers and at one point was forcibly removed from the courtroom while Kent County Circuit Court Judge Mark Trusock described injuries suffered by Giovanni Mejias prior to his June 13 death. An autopsy showed the boy died from internal bleeding caused by an abdominal tear. He also suffered seven blows to his head, and cigarettes were extinguishes on his body.
Trusock told Ortiz-Nieves, “You are a monster and quite frankly, you are evil.”
Ortiz-Nieves told the packed courtroom he never abused the boy. He was convicted of felony murder and first-degree child abuse.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 42 VIEW
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news
- Death toll rises in California wildfire, matching deadliest VIEW
The victim’s grandmother, Nora Villarreal-Mulero, says Ortiz-Nieves “tore our family apart.”