SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) — Prosecutors say a South Carolina man with no criminal record before he beat his neighbor to death with a metal pipe has been sentenced to 40 years in prison.
Solicitor Barry Barnette said 29-year-old Joshua Ellis pleaded guilty Tuesday to murder and armed robbery.
Barnette says Ellis left 67-year-old Boyce Pye’s house in Boiling Springs in his truck after beating him. The pipe with Pye’s blood was found inside the truck.
Barnette said in a statement that Ellis says he killed Pye in self-defense after an argument. The prosecutor says no evidence supported that story.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Trump says FBI searched estate in major escalation of probe
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- How the Inflation Reduction Act might impact you — and change the U.S.
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
Barnette says the walls and ceiling of Pye’s bedroom were covered with blood when his body was found in June.