PUNTA GORDA, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man has been sentenced to 23 years in prison for beating his father to death.
A State Attorney’s Office news release says 34-year-old Jeffrey Mulligan was sentenced Wednesday after pleading no contest to second-degree murder.
Authorities say Mulligan repeatedly punched his father, Patrick Mulligan, and smashed his head into the floor of their Port Charlotte home last April. Jeffrey Mulligan’s sister and her boyfriend arrived during the attack, and the boyfriend called 911. Responding deputies found Patrick Mulligan in the bathroom, where he was pronounced dead.
Jeffrey Mulligan acknowledged beating his father but said he didn’t intend to kill him.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Correction: 3D Gun-Lawsuit story WATCH
- Robocalls flooding your cellphone? Here’s how to fight them
- Inside the elite prep-school world of Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh, accuser
- Two women athletes were separately killed in Iowa. But only one suspect — a Mexican — inspired outrage.