JOPLIN, Mo. (AP) — Authorities say a man whose body was found in a southwest Missouri creek likely drowned.
Newton County Coroner Dale Owen announced Thursday that the death of 49-year-old William Simpson, of Joplin, is believed to be accidental based on the preliminary autopsy results. The Joplin Globe reports that Simpson’s body was found Wednesday in Silver Creek near the Wildcat Glades Conservation & Audubon Center.
Owen says it’s unclear whether Simpson fell into the water from a nearby bridge or from the bank, or was in the water voluntarily.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'
- US charges Belarus with air piracy in reporter's arrest
- Much of nation isn't active enough — but WA residents are exception, CDC says
Information from: The Joplin (Mo.) Globe, http://www.joplinglobe.com