GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — A man piled his wife and baby boy into a car to escape a hurricane barreling toward Texas last year and headed for Atlanta. They never made it.
The Sun Herald reports , 26-year-old Rodolfo Ortuno, of Houston was pulled over in Mississippi by a deputy for careless driving. Court documents say the deputy then searched the car and found 7 kilos (15.4 pounds) of cocaine in the trunk.
Ortuno pleaded guilty to a drug trafficking charge Friday. He faces a possible life sentence and maximum fine of $10 million. Sentencing is set for April.
He told authorities he was to be paid $7,000 for driving the vehicle to Atlanta.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Man's shooting-range wedding proposal was right on target
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
Ortuno was arrested Aug. 24, 2017, a day before Hurricane Harvey struck the Texas Gulf Coast.
Information from: The Sun Herald, http://www.sunherald.com