BARBOURVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky State Police say a man shot and wounded two deputies trying to serve him with an arrest warrant before the deputies returned fire, killing him.
Trooper Shane Jacobs told WKYT-TV (http://bit.ly/2s3TgF3 ) that Knox County Deputy Keith Liford was treated at a hospital and is expected to recover after Monday’s confrontation. Deputy Claude Hudson was treated at another hospital and released.
Jacobs identified the deceased suspect as 50-year-old John Wesley Bays. He had been indicted on charges including burglary and receiving stolen property.
In a news release, Jacobs said Bays fired on the deputies from inside the trailer where they had gone to serve the warrant, hitting them both before deputies returned fire.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- As nations decide to live with the virus, some disease experts warn of surrendering too soon
- Census memo cites ‘unprecedented’ meddling by Trump administration
- Eastern U.S. socked by winter storm
Information from: WKYT-TV, http://www.wkyt.com