LABELLE, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man faces a possible life sentence for fatally shooting a taxi cab driver.
A Hendry County State Attorney’s Office news release says 48-year-old Joe McCray was found guilty Wednesday of manslaughter with a firearm and robbery with a firearm causing death. His sentencing is scheduled for May 4.
Prosecutors say two women hired 52-year-old Mohammed Ansari to drive them from the Miccosukee Indian Reservation near Miami to Okeechobee, about 140 miles to the north, in September 2015. The women didn’t have $600 to pay the cab fare and had the driver stop in Clewiston, about two-thirds of the way to their intended destination, to meet up with McCray.
Authorities say McCray shot Ansari in the leg and took $16. Ansari was found alive but died a short time later from his injuries.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Do rapid COVID tests still work?
- When she named her breakfast cafe Woke, a conservative backlash followed
- A bear in Colorado took 400 selfies. Fashion pros say they're a star
- Priscilla Presley files petition questioning validity of Lisa Marie Presley’s will
- George Santos scandal consumes Congress, chafes lawmakers on both sides of aisle