WEEKI WACHEE, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a man died while diving in a popular underwater network of caves in Florida.
The Hernando County Sheriff’s Office says 53-year-old Davin Brannon was found dead Saturday at the Eagle’s Nest cave-diving site in Weeki Wachee.
The sheriff’s office says deputies and paramedics responded to reports of a diver in distress shortly after noon, and found Brannon dead when they arrived.
Sheriff’s spokesman Michael Terry told WTSP-TV that Brannon, a certified diver, and a friend were barely inside the caves when he experienced a “medical episode.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- She moved to the opposite coast, but past catches up to Kavanaugh accuser
- As Senate hearing set for Kavanaugh, new accuser emerges VIEW
- Democrats know of second Kavanaugh accuser, New Yorker magazine reports
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Lindsey Graham: 'There's a bureaucratic coup going on' at FBI and Justice Department
An autopsy is being conducted to determine the cause of death.
According to the Tampa Bay Times, 11 people have died while diving in the caves at Eagle’s Nest since 1981.