WEEKI WACHEE, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a man died while diving in a popular underwater network of caves in Florida.
The Hernando County Sheriff’s Office says 53-year-old Davin Brannon was found dead Saturday at the Eagle’s Nest cave-diving site in Weeki Wachee.
The sheriff’s office says deputies and paramedics responded to reports of a diver in distress shortly after noon, and found Brannon dead when they arrived.
Sheriff’s spokesman Michael Terry told WTSP-TV that Brannon, a certified diver, and a friend were barely inside the caves when he experienced a “medical episode.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
An autopsy is being conducted to determine the cause of death.
According to the Tampa Bay Times, 11 people have died while diving in the caves at Eagle’s Nest since 1981.