WAITSFIELD, Vt. (AP) — Firefighters say an 83-year-old Vermont man has died in a house fire.
Firefighters say Barbara and John King were awakened by a smoke-filled house in Waitsfield early Wednesday. They said 75-year-old Barbara King left the house while her husband remained inside, presumably to find the source of the fire.
They said John King was unable to make it out. He was found dead on the first floor.
Firefighters say the origin of the fire was in the basement, but the cause wasn’t known. The fire is not considered suspicious.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- Guard troops search for more wildfire victims; 56 dead WATCH
- Shot in the neck at 17, this is the trauma surgeon now leading doctors against gun violence and NRA
- Migrant caravan groups arrive by hundreds at US border VIEW