SUMMITT, Miss. (AP) — A southwest Mississippi man has died in a mobile home fire that no one noticed until little was left besides ashes.
Summit Fire Chief Stan McMorris tells The Enterprise-Journal that firefighters were called to the isolated mobile home at midmorning Tuesday, possibly more than nine hours after the blaze began.
Pike County Coroner Percy Pittman says authorities believe badly burned remains are the body of 49-year-old Christopher S. Jones, who lived there. Pittman, though, says remains have been sent to the state crime lab in Pearl to make sure.
Pittman says investigators aren’t sure what caused the fire.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Google tracks your movements, like it or not
- Washington man's idea for defusing 'fecal time bomb' on Mount Everest
- Woman tells police she's a 'clean, thoroughbred, white girl'
- In Australia town of 11 people, mysterious disappearance turns neighbor against neighbor
- FBI agent Peter Strzok fired over anti-Trump texts
McMorris says there was “nothing left of the mobile home” and that firefighters weren’t called until neighbors on a little-traveled road saw smoke.
Information from: Enterprise-Journal, http://www.enterprise-journal.com