CRESCENT BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Family members say a Texas man died two days after a sand dune collapsed on him at a Florida beach.
Rachel Goggin Burt posted on Facebook Tuesday that her brother, 35-year-old Lee Thomas Goggin, has been pronounced dead.
The St. Augustine Record reports that deputies and paramedics responded to Crescent Beach, just south of St. Augustine, on Sunday afternoon. Rescue officials say they found the Dallas man buried under several feet of sand in a hole that had been dug out parallel to the dunes and then apparently collapsed.
Officials say Goggin was taken to a St. Augustine hospital in critical condition. His sister said Sunday on a GoFundMe site that he was alive but not breathing on his own.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Flamingo freezes on flight south, crashes onto Siberian road
- Americans, Canadians are warned not to eat romaine lettuce VIEW
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office is investigating what caused the sand tunnel collapse.
Information from: The St. Augustine (Fla.) Record, http://www.staugustine.com